May 9, 2010
Well… we made it this far with no fevers and we’re on our way to Disney! As usual though, things haven’t gone exactly as planned.
Saturday morning, Tanner woke up sounding a little worse and we really struggled with what to do. If we canceled, we wouldn’t be able to reschedule until fall. If we went, we risked ruining the trip with a visit to the hospital and exposing her to all those germs when her immune system was compromised by possible illness. Ughh. We hate these decisions. We decided to take her to the pediatrician’s office and see what they thought. They listened to her lungs and checked her ears. ALL CLEAR!!! Then, they were kind enough to run counts for us. They were elevated… boo! That indicates she is fighting something. But, overall, the pediatrician felt like she was okay to go but suggested we check with her oncologist. So, I called in to clinic and gave them all of our information.. they also said, “Go!” But, in asking about whether we were exposing her to undue risk by taking her to a park with thousands upon thousand of people, they said the airplane was really our biggest risk.
After much deliberation, we decided to drive to Disney instead. It was just one risk we could eliminate. So, we called Make-A-Wish to cancel our flight, packed up and got the car tuned up within three hours, and got on the road yesterday!!!! Hurray! We drove last night to my parents’ house outside Atlanta and stayed overnight. This morning, we are on our way and should be there by 6 pm.
Tanner doesn’t seem any worse; she really isn’t coughing too much this morning. Everyone is super excited and we’ve got our fingers crossed we’ve made the right decision.
Mickey Mouse… here we come!